Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Technique Experiment.

One of the highlights at IMC was sitting down with Rebecca Guay and watching her work her magical technique from start to finish. It was one of the first things I wanted to try when I returned home. Though she began with a photo of her daughter, I figured it would work just as well on a sketch. So I pulled out this sketch and began.
In Photoshop, I built up light layers of color, keeping them fairly muted. After that, I "ghosted" the image with a layer of white and printed it out on a 13"x 19" sheet of watercolor paper. (This is darkened so you can see it better).
Next I wet down the paper and taped it to my board. After allowing it to dry completely, I applied a coat of acrylic matte medium. On top of this I started painting with Holbein's acryla gouache. Though the colors are opaque, you can water them down to a watercolor transparent-like consistency. I also strengthened the lines with a brown Verithin pencil.
This painting obviously went through many changes. Tried a couple different backgrounds, hair shapes and skies. After I thought it was ready, I photographed it and the problems were glaringly there before me. First, the weight of the trees in the background was too heavy on the right as well as crowding the bird.
Next was the sternomastoid (circled above...no, it's not a giant earring). Way too severe. Edges way too hard. So I softened it and will soften it some more with the oil layer.
I know there are other minor things wrong, but I decided to commit and move forward.
(This is an experiment after all).
Next, I put a layer of Galkyd on it. This warms up the colors with it's clear amber hue and seals the paint underneath. Once it dries, I will begin the transparent oil glazes on top.

Rebecca made this all look so easy when she demonstrated it. She uses watermarks to her advantage and wields her brush with such a deft hand. I have too many layers of paint on this, losing much of the transparent look she achieves with her work. But it's a start.

9 comments:

HIL and ERIK said...

Um...I promise, I did try to follow the process, but it went over my wee head. But I like this piece, especially the wind in the trees and the softness of the woman and bird. I know this isn't the final but it does seem a little saturated. Then again, I don't even know how to draw stick figures. Who am I to say? :) Good job mom! Good to see you working on your projects.

tlchang said...

I think this looks fabulous! Keep going. (I hope to actually get to try this out as well at some point. :-p )

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

Hilary, never minimize your response to a painting. I did go a little more bold with the colors on this, deliberately. You'll have to see it in person and tell me what you think. Thanks for commenting.

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

Tara, Thanks for visiting. You don't know how many times I wanted to start over on this. I'm going to see it to it's finish though. I'd love to see your work using this technique.

Jan said...

Hi there! :D

It's great fun to watch another person's progress, and to want to step in their shoes. Having just completed a painting of my own I would never imagine that the steps you took were as easy as you made them seem.

I like what you came up with ... and will no doubt continue to visit your blog ... hope that's okay.

Jan
www.ivegottadraw.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I am so struck by the colors in this project! Her hair! Wow. And what a process! You're doing amazing stuff, Kim. Thanks for sharing with us!

Pat said...

Fascinating way of working! I love what you've done. She's beautiful xx

Martina Loos said...

I never heart from this technik bevore it looks great and for the first try it is wonderfull.
Like your Art very much and so I add you to my reading list. :-)
best wishes from germany
Martina

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

Thank you Pat and Martina. I appreciate your comments.