Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Holes Cover Final


Here is the final for the HOLES book cover assignment. Susan Sherman at Charlesbridge Publishing spent two hours critiquing our work on Tuesday. It was my final day with Rebecca's mentorship. Susan felt my character should have a younger look, shorter neck and generally fuller body since Stanley is described as being overweight. She gave me a great idea with the swirls on the background, suggesting that I make them more onion ring shapes. I scanned in several images of sliced onions and made a texture layer and lowered it's opacity. I will miss this class so much but other tasks demand my attention for the next couple months.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the color! I've worked with gouache before and I really love the quality that you've achieved with it here! I looked back at some of the othe posts you made of the process and I'd love to see a little more about it. Are you pleased with the medium and how the overall piece went?

suzanneberry said...

your work is outstanding!! amazing! thank you crystal for this link!

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

Thank you SarahS and SuzanneB.

Sarah, This process is used by artists like Mark English, David Grove and Robert Barrett. I'm still experimenting with it but so far, I'm seeing all sorts of possibilities with it. I will post more WIP's in the future using this technique as I become more confident with it.

Suzanne, I have found so many wonderful links via Crystal. Glad you came here to visit.

Windsongs and Wordhoards said...

Nice! I like the half solid, half insubstantial figure, and its a great face and expression... I like the colours too, very atmospheric :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, WONDERFUL work, Kim! I love this!

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

Thank you Carrie and Kim.