Monday, February 3, 2014

And We're Off!

I have started SmART School once again with Rebecca Guay. This time, I am doing the every other week study course, so that frees up time to finish the book...hopefully.

First things first. Here's another portrait artist and an example of her work followed by my the first steps of my first assignment. 




Our assignment is to come up with a cover for a hypothetical "Art of...(me)" book. Something that will most represent my work in a collection of my best work. Great assignment because it really made me dig deep and think about what is it that speaks "Kim". She emphasized that we need to focus on our strengths and build from there. I knew I wanted to include a compelling face and try for graceful lines. I started there.
 Head Study

 Composition study #1

 I felt it needed more room on the bottom.
Composition sketch #2

This is the sketch after Rebecca has worked her magic. Proportions were off on woman. Lengthened her body and eliminated her background hand, giving her a cleaner silhouette. Worked on dress and narrowed the frame. She also fixed a tangent and defined shapes. Now to get better reference for body and dress and redo.

4 comments:

Corina St. Martin said...

You're off to a wonderful start Kim! It always amazes me how just a couple of tweaks can really make a piece come together. I'd love to know how the every other week class works. I'm thinking of signing up again in the fall.

The Ettien Press said...

I'm amazed that you describe yourself as an aspiring artist...you are a true artist with a mighty talent.

Susan said...

I love your design--and the way you echoed the moon's circle in the birds' curvy necks. When this book comes out, I will be first in line to buy it!

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

Thanks, Corina. I hope you do return.
Thank you Lisa and Suzy. Appreciate your comments.